We buy Gold – Selling your Gold and The Gold Standard code of conduct

Gold and other precious metal purchasing

Unwanted Gold and Silver

In recent years, many people have turned to Stirlings Jewellers to “recycle” their precious metals in broken jewellery, coins and other items that they no longer want or need. This has been driven by the dual pressures of the high Gold value and the global economic problems. By selling their gold jewellery in particular our customers are turning their assets into cash for alternative investments or repayment of loans.

Stirlings Jewellers is a responsible purchaser of unwanted gold and other precious metals and has been accepted by the British Jewellers’ Association (BJA) for membership of the new “Gold Standard” scheme. See below.

The Launch of “The Gold Standard”

SURREY Police has joined forces with the three principle jewellery trade associations; the National Association of Goldsmiths (NAG), the British Jewellers’ Association (BJA) and the National Pawnbrokers Association (NPA) to launch ‘The Gold Standard’ – a new voluntary code of conduct for the face to face purchase of second hand precious metals and jewellery.

The concept of the scheme is to promote the principle of a ‘responsible trader’ by establishing a code of conduct where traders voluntarily introduce a number of verification, evaluation and best practice protocols designed to provide both the retailer and the customer with a sense of added security whilst acting as a deterrent to offenders attempting to dispose of stolen property.

The scheme has already been rolled out in partnership with the three trade associations whose members account for 35% of the industry and the remaining 65% will be encouraged to participate in the scheme by Surrey Police and other Police Forces around the UK. Members of the scheme will receive a window sticker and posters to market their membership to the general public and any criminals looking to dispose of stolen gold and jewellery.

The new code of conduct tackles five areas of concern;

  1. It sets a common standard for the jewellery trade to adopt as no guidelines previously existed.
  2. It reduces the risk of traders inadvertently purchasing stolen jewellery and potentially having that property seized by the Police as part of their investigations, or being prosecuted for handling stolen items.
  3. It provides the police with evidence of where stolen items may have been traded.
  4. It provides the consumer with additional confidence of where to trade their items.
  5. It improves the legitimacy of gold going back into the UK supply chain (as 90% of the gold used in the UK jewellery industry is recycled).


This initiative will really help to reduce the chance of jewellers unwittingly buying or selling stolen goods, and provide greater confidence to people who want to sell items on to trusted dealers. It is a good example of what can be achieved when business and police work together to cut crime in the communities in which they operate.

Simon Rainer, Chief Executive of the BJA said: “The response from the membership has been extremely heartening. We intend that all registered members will have their details on the BJA website so consumers can find their nearest ‘Gold Standard’ trader.”

Twitter Facbook